Nuova Simonelli Oscar Espresso Machine

April 2009 – Nuova Simonelli Oscar Specifications

******************************************

Updated: 13th Feb 2009

Look at what our friend from Penang, Venky manage from the powerful Oscar:

venky1

venky2

Not bad man. Just to proof that if anyone has the passion and interest to learn, they can make a good cuppa :)

******************************************

Visited my friend Venky in Penang couple of weeks back. His long awaited Nuova Simonelli Oscar Espresso Machine has just arrived. This is what you call a Prosumer Machine, meaning for Professional Consumer. Whereas, the Gaggia Baby that I have or the Rancilio Silvia are known as consumer machine / home machine.

Do not be misled by its small size. This Oscar is capable to adequately serve most small cafes in Malaysia. In fact many small cafes over-spent on a commercial 2 group stainless steel machine cost in excess of RM15K and make less than 50 cups of coffee a day.

This baby here can handle easily 100 cups throughout the day. But of course, this is a machine with a 2.# liter water tank inside (commercial machines are plumbed-in), and you need to refill the water if the traffic is high. But then, what’s wrong with manually filling water couple of times a day if it save you more than RM7,000++.

oscar1 mazzer-mini
Oscar with a silver ABS plastic body. It is heavy but not too heavy. Can be carried by a single adult. Combine with a Mazzer Mini, good and fresh coffee beans and proper skills… excellent espresso is achievable consistently.

oscar2
Only 2 buttons. One to power on, the other to start and stop the brewing process. The big knob there is for steam.

oscar3
Fully commercial grade 58mm portafilter and a 4 holes steam wand. The Oscar, being a heat-exchange machine, can steam on demand. With a 2.* litre boiler inside, you have no worry of running out of steam. In fact, the steam is so powerful, I need a few tries before adjusting to it.

One downside to this machine, if you have not notice by now, there is no hot water dispenser. Well, I suppose this is a concern one need to consider. The reason the Oscar is priced so low for it’s capabilities, something has to give. Hence, no stainless steel body and no hot water dispenser. For extra RM2K, you can get a La Scala Butterfly with sexy stainless steel body and water dispenser too.

For me, to get hot water, buy a RM200 thermos would solve all the problem.

oscar4
Finally, here’s a couple of cappuccinos made with Highlander’s Supremo Blend, brewed and frothed with Simonelli Oscar. With the current fluctuating exchange rate, you can get the Oscar for around RM5.5K to RM6K.

About these ads

About KF Chan

Origin: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Race: Anak Bangsa Malaysia Passions: Coffee and Bull Terriers Like: Modern Cities Espresso Machine: Vibiemme Domobar Junior Double Boiler
This entry was posted in Barista, Cafe, Cappuccino, Coffee, Coffee Beans, espresso, Espresso Machine, Highlander, Malaysia, Nuova Simonelli Oscar, Penang, Rancilio Silvia. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Nuova Simonelli Oscar Espresso Machine

1. Chong Shen says:

Hey KF, great to read another interesting update from you. What other espresso machines have you actually had a go at?

2. kfchan says:

Not that many.
    Nuova Simonelli Appia,
    Gaggia Baby D,
    Gaggia Baby Twin,
    La Scala Butterfly,
    Rancilio Silvia,
    Grimac,
    La Marzocco,
    Vibiemme DomoBar

3. Venky says:

KF, Nice having you at my home. Thanks to you milk frothing is fantastic. This is a well built machine. Lots of steam power and very consistent. Might want to check on the latest prices.

4. kfchan says:

Venky,

Send me some photos of your work lah. Video also can :D

5. Tong says:

Hi
    I’m an inspired passer by, living in Singpore, looking for a chance to own a prosumer machine myself, and have come across this nicely. Thanks for good article, btw.

Happen to know if I can get one of these in SG, and how? or should it be a better idea to get it from Malaysia, or any other supplier you might kindly suggest?

Would appreicate your feedback. Thanks

6. kfchan says:

Good to hear of your chat with Cedric.
    I’m sure the Oscar will make you excellent coffee for many many years.

7. Sunshine says:

hi, are you have second hand 1 group and 2 group semi-auto espresso coffee machine? if have please send quotation for me to>>>sunshinebis@gmail.com
    Thank!!!

8. Quentina says:

really impressed by tis, at least there is a “coffee world” in malaysia where I could find all the info, thanks a lot.

I might b need a trade from u in the future,as owning a coffee shop is my goal ;)

ps: I do interested in second hand stuff too, do u provide tht services?

9. Phil Liew says:

Hi Chan,

I was at Highlander Coffee that other day and met up with Phil and Cedric. They now have a range of this little wonder. I must admit it is indeed a very good performer, bang for buck.

Off to Russia tonight and will only be back late May. Hope to catch up then.

10. GHLiong says:

If i want to buy few Oscar from you, can you give me better price? Since we are intend to buy this for business purpose, and i have 3 outlets (USJ, Desa Sri Hartamas and Melaka) , and I am concern about the maintenance support, are you able to provide maintenance support in case there is something wrong with the machine?

Thanks and regards

11. diren says:

HEY BRO, I AM PLANNIN TO SET UP A NEW CAFE WITH UNKNOWN SIZE OF COFFEE DRINKERS. PLANNING TO INVEST IN A GOOD COFFEE MACHINE THAT PROBABLY WOULDNT COST TOO MUCH. WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST, A HOT DRINK DISPENSER OR A MEDIUM SIZE(CHEAP) COFFEE MACHINE? GET ME BACK AT DIREN.MSA@GMAIL.COM
    REALLY IN NEED OF HELP, THANKS HEAPS kf

12. ann ling says:

Hi,
    I am a coffee lover but never brew coffee with a manual coffee machine before. Anyway i received a 2nd hand gaggia classic recently, the only problem with the machine is the steamer. The previous owner said is was stuck, but i not really know what is the problem with that. And i am interested with coffee grinder, a middle range one will good enough for me. Its great if you can offer me a price for the grinder and probably can provide service for the machine problem. thanks alot.

aannlyn@gmail.com

13. kenny says:

Hi friends, could you guys know have the supplier of OSCAR coffee machine ? what is the current price in order to have what else needed? just the machine. as i love coffee but not an expert on machine as plan to operate a coffee outlet in Penang Heritage Zone.

14. kenny says:

please sms me the supplier contact or email ok ? i m based in Penang. 0164619191 or kenny@aquagroupasia.com

15. Joe says:

Hi Chan,

Need your help for some start up advice. I am starting a small scale cafe and aim to provide a coffee selections to my clients and what would be a good start up choice for me here. I think I am aiming for 20 – 30 cups the most. I saw brand like Krups and Delonghi etc. And I have very, very limited budget as i am not strong financially. I do not mind second hand tools